Santa is packing up and clearing out the bodies, we hope you enjoyed the Holiday Season. We're getting back to work after a couple of weeks off which is why this is a light blog and we are looking forward to the journey ahead in 2021!
2020 was a strange year to be sure but regardless, we managed to add quite a few significant elements to the game :
We're excited to see what we can accomplish in 2021 and we thank each and every one of our players for continuing to enjoy our work. We can't wait to show you what's next!
- Ring Road
- Modular Turrets
- CCTV Cameras
- Farming 2.0
- Night Vision Goggles
- Electric Heaters
- Modular Vehicles
- Airwolf, Boat shop, and stables
- Mixing table
- Weather system
- Tech Trees
- And many many more improvements and fixes
For the first time in years we are force-wiping blueprints across all rust servers. Due to the recent introduction of tech trees we feel as though this is the right move to get everyone on equal footing once again. Don't expect another BP wipe for a long, long while!
Server Save Backups
I worked on improving save reliability after an incident caused EU2 to get wiped mid-month for our Christmas patch. The bug that caused it is now gone and I have also added functionality to maintain rotating backups of older saves so, if something does go wrong, we have something to revert back to.
There is a new convar "server.saveBackupCount" which gives you some control over the number of backup copies to keep (default and minimum value is two). If you ever need to restore a backup, simply remove the number suffix on the save's file name (ex: craggy.sav.2 -> craggy.sav).
I added a new system into the Rust dedicated server which allows server bans to be centralized in whatever external system you use. This is probably only going to be useful for people who host multiple servers so we're using it and hopefully others do too eventually.
Everything is documented on the Centralized Banning Rust wiki page.
We're expecting to see huge player counts over the coming days, server capacity is something we're keeping a close eye on and proactively bringing more servers online. We're already boosting the official server count by further 13 servers preemptively today.
Offical servers will no longer display within the community listing.
- Fixed some clothing casting incorrect shadows
- Fixed respawn icons not properly merging when creating a combined respawn icon
- Fixed push to talk setting not being respected when talking on a phone (if this is enabled you need to hold your push to talk key to speak into a Telephone)
- Fixed some non English characters in player names causing display issues in the inventory
- Fixed being able to slide open the windows of a locked armoured cockpit module that's directly in front of a taxi module that a player is riding in
- Sleeping bags that are too close to another sleeping bag will now be tinted orange while placing (also affects Beds and Beach Towels)
- Fixed some incorrect sound effects on the Telephone
- Voice audio transmitted through Telephones now has some audio filters applied
- Car lock info tooltips wait a while before showing up again
- SAM sites no longer target hot air balloons that aren't inflated
- Reduced research cost of T2 engine parts
- Reduced weather event chances - more clear skies
- Allow players to boost voices from the options menu rather than needing to use the console
- Disabled Xmas event and craftable item